- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded, small diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons (about 3 cloves) chopped garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
This time, it’s meatloaf, Italian style.
I remember having meatloaf a lot as a kid. In fact, I have never made it as an adult until this recipe. I suppose I was burned out on it. The thought of putting a meatloaf together just didn’t sound appetizing to me. It reminded me of the creepy cafeteria line at my elementary school. I recall seeing the meatloaf sitting there steaming with burnt edges all the while being served with the frozen vegetable medley.
I thought meatloaf was never going to make an appearance in my kitchen until I found this Italian meatloaf recipe! Courtesy of Food Network. Thanks, Food Network, for bringing meatloaf back into my life by throwing an Italian spin on it!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat and add the peppers, onions and garlic.
- Saute until just soft, remove to a plate and cool.
- When the peppers and onions are cool, combine all of the remaining ingredients together except for the marinara.
- Pack the meat mixture into an oiled loaf pan, if you do not have a loaf pan, form the meat mixture into a loaf shape on an oiled oven tray or baking dish.
- Top with the marinara making sure to spread evenly over the top.
- Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F in the middle of the meatloaf.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.